The Canadian Subregion of Lawyers Associated Worldwide (LAW) has seven Canadian law firms that span the country from British Columbia to Quebec.
The group offers several advantages over large international law firms.
They are respected law firms in their local jurisdictions with detailed legal and business knowledge of their geographic area.
The LAW Canadian Subregion offers better fee structures than large international law firms.
The firms work closely together, meeting in person two to three times per year and conducting quarterly conference calls to apprise fellow members of legal trends in their jurisdictions.
They are also experienced in international work, having access to legal expertise in over 50 other countries through membership in LAW.
Members of the Canadian Subregion include:
Vancouver, British Columbia
Capabilities and Experience
We practice in core practice areas of Corporate, Commercial Transactions, M&A, Banking and Financial Services, Taxation and Real Estate. We work with clients in multiple industries, such as agribusiness, construction, education, healthcare, hospitality/services, insurance, manufacturing, multimedia, oil and gas, pharmaceutical, professionals and technology.
We also have French-speaking lawyers who regularly conduct business in French and have additional language capabilities in German, Italian, and Mandarin, among others.
Examples of Some of Our Work
- Providing corporate governance advice to Boards of Directors of public companies, not for profit organizations and charities
- Advising Special Committees of Boards of Directors in mergers & acquisitions and other circumstances where potential conflicts of interest arise
- Assisting in-house counsel in risk management of acquisitions and divestitures of petroleum and natural gas assets
- Acting as counsel in litigation involving fiduciary obligations of former employees of corporations including non-competition agreements, and acting as mediators and arbitrators in that area of practice
- Assisted a Peruvian mining construction contractor in negotiating and settling a substantial construction contract for a large mining project in Panama where the law of the contract was to be that of Ontario / Canada.
- Acting for an offshore group of companies in establishing a North American presence in the quick serve restaurant (“QSR”) segment. Through distress acquisitions (insolvency transactions), private M&A and organic growth, assisted this client in acquiring over 125 QSR locations throughout Canada and are advising on all corporate, franchise, financing, labour and employment, tax, litigation, intellectual property and other issues
- Representing an offshore company in establishing Canadian and US corporate organization and structuring, negotiating and implementing acquisitions in the recreational and leisure sector in both jurisdictions.
- Assisted offshore company in acquiring assets and businesses in Canada and the United States, implementing marketing, operating and human resources plans and advising on related tax matters
- Acted for a large North American commercial real estate client in connection with the formation of a Canada/US cross border REIT and the initial public offering of units in the REIT on the TSX. Represented the REIT with respect to corporate, real estate and finance matters.
Articles from Subregion Members
The Canadian Subregion of LAW is Ready to Assist
For more information on the LAW Canadian Subregion capabilities, please email Lorri Salyards.